Sunday 27 January 2013

A real mummy's breastfeeding story (1)

Why is it that it's still considered taboo to bottle feed or to admit that we struggle with breastfeeding?  Here's our first true story:

I exclusively breastfed both my little ones until they were 10 months old but being the pro I now like to consider myself I can honestly hand on heart say that I can totally see the advantages of bottle feeding and also agree that making the decision (or finding yourself in a position where there is no decision to be made because for whatever reason breastfeeding doesn't work) to bottle feed does no harm to mums, babies or the mum and baby bond!

I put a ridiculous amount of pressure on myself to exclusively breastfeed and the guilt that went with it was immense! I'm not complaining at all because I loved it and I cried when the time came to stop. But breastfeeding on demand often 2 hourly day and night, not being able to have a social life unless baby is attached to your breast, not being able to have a wee when you need to, and not being in a bed on your own with your husband for 4 years are definitely valid reasons why many would choose bottles. Everyone has the right to choose without judgment or guilt being attached!

I've made my own decisions on how to parent and have been openly criticised for many of my methods. Breastfeeding and giving up my social life, bed sharing, and not having any routines! I've never tried to get my little ones into routines such as bedtimes etc. - I've always let them do things when they're ready and in their own time! As I said I've been criticised for this and I can see 100% how this wouldn't work for many people! It's been easy on my children but definitely not on my husband and myself. We haven't had a good night’s sleep for 4 years and not even our evenings are our own but these decisions are ones we made and are happy to stick with!

We all make decisions based on our own circumstances and whether this is related to feeding or sleeping or discipline, as long as our children are warm, clean (some of the time) well fed, happy and healthy I don't think anyone has the right to judge and we should all be able to give ourselves a massive pat on the back for getting through the biggest challenge in the world - being a parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment